Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Onus


"Stop staring at me."

"But...I am hungry!!!"

"And so am I, now go away and let me eat."

"Please, I've not eaten for 3 days..."

Just as I was going to sink my teeth in the parantha, this relentless cry from the girl stopped me. She looked pale, thin and anything if it could get thinner then thin.

I knew she was not lying, but I was hungry. So what if I didn't give her my meal, she could beg anyone...where would I get a new parantha from??? There was a long day ahead and I had loads of work to do.

But she had a long life ahead...long, endless life of penury. I tried to move on, she kept following me. I tried to escape, but my feet...they suddenly felt heavier. The integrity of my character had left me, and left behind was the onus. I was looking around for help, if only my savior could come and save me from this...

People looked at me, and continued on their trajectories. I wonder if the feeling in their eyes was of guilt, compassion or abhorrence...was it directed at me or the destitute girl?

The chauraha was near, I quickened my pace. For the last time I turned my head and looked at the girl. Her eyes were still pleading, and her torn clothes, bared her own story. I stepped on the road, turned back again (and then cursed myself for that all day).

Out of the blue, I stretched my hand, almost throwing my meal at her...and then just ran away. I didn't have the courage to look back at her anymore.

"I've given you my meal...its you who should be saying sorry for taking away what I already had, but then why am I feeling sorry for you???", the voice kept bellowing in my mind all the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Written well. Thank you.
    You can't help feeling sorry for them, but you can't do much to help them either. You can't help every one of them that is there unless the entire machinery is changed. So there is nothing else to do. I am not accepting defeat, I am being practical.

    ReplyDelete